The Institute of Chemistry was among the first several institutes established at Academia Sinica, which was founded in 1928 in Shanghai, China. In 1949, Academia Sinica was moved to Taiwan, and gradually expanded from its new base in Nankang, Taipei. In 1957, the Institute of Chemistry was reinstated at the present site.
The researches of the Institute are currently organized into three major directions: materials chemistry, chemical synthesis and catalysis, and chemical biology. The Institute is actively involved in many research activities locally or internationally, which effectively elevates the visibility and reputation of the Institute. Research members of the Institute have made many important research discoveries over the years and have been the recipients of many awards and honors at national as well as international levels. This has made the Institute a preeminent research place in Taiwan.