The Institute of Social Sciences of the Academia Sinica’s fundamental mission is to accumulate and expand sociological knowledge, by studying the organizing principles, operational processes and historical change of society. We hold that the formation, operation and development of any society are both historically and locally specific as well as regionally and globally general. Hence, we emphasize both Taiwan Studies and the study of neighboring societies and Chinese societies at large. Moreover, we seek to advance comparative studies among different regions or societies that explore their inextricable interrelationships. The continual advancement of sociological knowledge demands commitment to dialogue and cooperation among sociologists and sociology organizations. The IOS aims to facilitate the systemization of important research areas, lead in the development of new research orientations, and strengthen cooperation and interaction among members of the sociology community. To fulfill this mission, we have oriented our activities towards the following six research areas and objectives.
1. Taiwan and Indigenous Research: Defining the Identity of Taiwanese Sociology
2. Research on Neighboring Societies: the Interactions and Comparisons between Taiwan and Neighboring Regions
3. Cross-National Research
4. Systematizing Existing Research
5. Developing New Research Agenda
6. Strengthening the Profession of Sociology and the Community of Sociologists